CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Because nice matters!

Anyone that knows me knows these two things about me... #1 I love watching the Bachelor and #2 I REALLY struggle watching movies/TV shows that show people being mistreated by others. Ask anyone and they will tell you that I can't watch war movies or concentration camp movies or movies where people are being beat up constantly. Well unfortunately on Monday these two things coincided with each other. Some of you are probably rolling your eyes right now and honestly I know that a lot of you can't stand shows like the Bachelor so I will spare the details of what happened. The bottom line here is that people hurt other people on NATIONAL television and then made excuses for their behavior. Is that really what we have succumbed to? We need to watch others pain and embarrassment for our own personal entertainment? I know, I know, it is just a show...but it really just got me thinking about how so many people are just 'OK' with watching someone hurt someone else. Why have we become so desensitized to the mistreatment of others? Why do we as adults still find the need to be openly rude or mean to others just for the sake of freedom of speech? I actually know a person (who is my age mind you, not a wishy washy teenager) who prides herself on saying "If I don't like someone I let them know it!"
SERIOUSLY??!! Is this the way that we want our children to grow up thinking is alright behavior?
I know that I am not perfect and along my road of life I have hurt others because of my own faults and insecurities and for that I am very regretful and sorry. I hate when I hurt others and really go out of my way to try to be nice...even when someone just gets under my skin. Remember that old saying "Kill them with kindness"??? It seems that people today would rather "Kill them with words".
I saw the above person on Saturday at a baptism with all her extended family and it was all I could do to not walk up to this person's mother and ask her if she knew what a mean, hurtful daughter she had raised. But that would be mean and hurtful of me to do....so instead I just smiled and said a friendly Hello.
Can you imagine how different our world would be if people thought of others feelings more than our own selfish desires? It wouldn't be called earth....it is called the Celestial Kingdom....a place I hope to someday be.
END OF SOAPBOX

13 comments:

Momza said...

I appreciate your post. Rudeness seems to have become an art form these days. And on TV --it is everywhere. Noone feels pressured to show their best or be their best..I fear that showing good manners will be considered a weakness b/c the world we're in values selfishness.

My eldest daughter's ringtone on her cell, is a recording of me saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"--for my calls.

Bri and Elty!!! said...

I agree totally!!! and the worst part was that everyone deffended the whole situation! I foiund it very upsetting!

Anonymous said...

Amen! Amen and Amen!

Kirstin and Brett's Family said...

Gotcha on this one! It's good to just be a decent friend to many people. What's so wrong with that? Don't judge what you see - find out what kind of person is inside. You are a truly greta friend!! See you soon!

sadie said...

jennylynn my friend was this whole post meant for me??? haha just teasin, but really thanks for that. i should be more like you :)

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Great post and it wasn't a soapbox.

Kayla said...

Jenny, I sure do agree, the last thing I every want to do is hurt someones feelings....If I have, I do everything I can to make it better...I don't like to see other people sad...especially if it's my fault! My big mouth gets me in trouble at times though! LOL

Donna said...

I think people need to find the line between being honest and being quiet! Honesty is not always the best policy. If honesty is just hurtful, then silence is the best policy. If someone needs some honest "talking to" then it needs to be done with love by someone who loves them, not by someone who prides themselves on always stating theif feelings (thus being mean). And that is something that people don't always understand.

Donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara H. said...

I agree! Hey thanks for calling the other day, it was good to chat!
Also, I am dying to know what the deleted post said.
xoxox

lvs2dance said...

The deleted post was one that someone posted the same thing twice.

Ryan said...

Dear Gin,

One line stood out to me,
I know that I am not perfect and along my road of life I have hurt others because of my own faults and insecurities and for that I am very regretful and sorry.

Gin, I forgive you. For all those mean things you said to me growing up. I no longer see you as one of the 'mean girls'.

sadie said...

jennylynn! i miss you lots too we should go up together?? was that an invite bahaha i really want to come, wouldn't miss it for the world, especially if i can go with you guys... ya??? thank you for your support and friendship.. did you do send a missionary out as well at my age?? love you! hope to see you soon.